(800) 555-4011

5 Tips for Filing a Flood Insurance Claim

Florida Flood Insurance Claim Lawyer
If your home has been damaged by a flood, you may be eligible to file a flood insurance claim with your homeowner’s insurance, or separate flood insurance if you have it. What insurer to file the claim with will depend on what event caused the flood. Filing a flood insurance claim in Florida can be difficult, however, we may be able to help you through the process. Here are 5 tips for filing a flood insurance claim.

Take Photos of the Damage

If possible, take photos of the damage that occurred as a result of the flood. Try taking photos both before the water recedes, and after, in order to illustrate the scope of the damage that was done to your home and belongings. Consider printing two copies of your photos -- one set for your insurance company, and one set for your own records.

Start Creating a List of Items That Were Damaged or Lost

Your insurance company will likely need a list of items that were lost or damaged, and the approximate value of each. As you go through your home after the flood, you may want to start creating a written list of belongings that are damaged, or that you are no longer able to locate. You will likely want to include big ticket items like television and computer equipment, but don’t overlook the smaller items. Jewelry, clothing, home decor, and other items may be able to be included on your insurance claim.

Make Sure That You Contact Your Insurance Company

In general it is important to notify your insurance company whenever you have a loss. Insurance companies sometimes deny claims based on late notice. While you should take all necessary steps to prevent further immediate damage, any repairs that are not necessary to prevent additional immediate damage should not be undertaken until after your insurance company has had an opportunity to inspect the damage. You do not have to wait until your claim is denied to hire an experienced flood attorney. A qualified attorney can help you present and document your claim and fight for the compensation that your claim deserves.

Explore Your Option to Receive Disaster Assistance

If the flood that damaged your home is classified as a “disaster” by FEMA,  you may be able to receive disaster assistance. By contacting FEMA, you can discuss the flood and subsequent damage with a qualified representative, and explore your options for obtaining disaster assistance. In some cases, disaster assistance and insurance claim funds can be combined in order to provide full coverage for lost and damaged items.

Consider Contacting a Flood Damage Lawyer in Florida

You may benefit from consulting with a Florida flood damage lawyer. Many people find it difficult to bring forward a flood damage claim, and working with insurance companies can be a challenge. A skilled flood damage attorney in Florida may be able to assist you in getting the funds you need to cover the damage to your home and your belongings. At the Law Offices of John D. Ameen, P.A., we have extensive experience working with victims of flood damage, and may be able to help you with your claim. Call (800) 555-4011 if you would like to schedule a consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.