(800) 555-4011

What to Do When Someone Is Injured On Your Property

Florida Homeowners Insurance Disputes Attorney
As a homeowner, you expect things to go wrong. You might need a new hot water heater, or a roof replacement sooner than you thought. These are issues that most homeowners are prepared for. However, there are other issues homeowners need to be aware of. Particularly, what will happen if someone is injured on your property? Here's what you need to know and how an attorney can help you.

Am I Responsible for the Injury?

If someone was injured on your property, you are generally not liable for damages unless the injury occurred due to your negligence. In this case, a separate suit would be brought against you in addition to the claim against your homeowner's insurance. More often than not, a claim will be brought against your homeowner's insurance for compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages depending on the extent of the injury.

What If I Don't Agree With My Homeowner's Insurance and Their Decision to Cover/Not Cover the Injury?

The first thing you should do when a person is injured on your property (aside from getting them medical help) is review your homeowner's insurance policy. Your policy should clearly state what is and is not covered as far as injuries go. For example, your policy may state that it covers dog bites, or that it does not cover injuries to trespassers. It's not uncommon for homeowners to dispute with their insurance companies whether an injury should or should not be covered. If you disagree with the decision your insurance company made, it's important that you get all the facts first. Contact your insurance adjuster and ask them what their decision was based on and what sections of the policy apply. Write this information down and ask what the process is for an appeal.

When to Contact an Attorney

Anytime you disagree with your homeowner's insurance about whether or not a claim should be covered, contact an attorney who is well-versed in insurance disputes. At the Law Offices of John D. Ameen, P.A., we can guide you through the various steps of appealing a homeowner's insurance decision and will keep you informed of your rights. Call today at (954) 763-4950.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.